COLUMBUS, MS OFFICE
Columbus, the county seat of Lowndes County, Ms., was founded in 1821 and lies in the northeastern part of the state at the juncture of three rivers, the Tombigbee, The Buttahatchie, and the Luxapalila. As the site of Mississippi’s first public college for women, it might be considered a university town. As home to Columbus Air Force Base since the early 1940’s, it might be considered a military town. As the birthplace of Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Tennessee Williams, it might be considered a literary town. As host to one of the best known antebellum pilgrimages in the south, it might be considered a preservation-minded town. As a member of the Golden Triangle Region, it might be considered a business and industry town. Columbus prides itself on being all of these towns in one.
In 1990, Mitchell, McNutt & Sams merged with Threadgill, Smith, Sanders & Jolly of Columbus which had been founded in 1949. The firm’s offices are located in the historic downtown area in 4 classic townhouses, the oldest of which was built in 1837 and the latest of which was newly constructed to match the existing buildings.
Practice areas associated with the Columbus office include but are not limited to commercial litigation, construction law, corporate law, creditors’ rights and bankruptcy, general litigation, governmental entity defense, insurance defense, labor and employment, mediation and arbitration, medical malpractice, probate law, products liability, real property law, utilities law and workers’ compensation.
The attorneys resident in the Columbus office, like their colleagues in the other offices of the firm, are mindful that success is partially measured in what one “gives back” to one’s community, and the attorneys here “give back” on a daily basis by their involvement in civic and cultural affairs including work with the Chamber of Commerce, Habitat for Humanity, the United Way, and by active participation in their individual church programs.
All areas of law engaged in by the firm are represented in the practice of attorneys resident in the Tupelo office.